Certified Sustainability Specialist
Website Short Description
Energy availability is a real concern for everyone. Without energy or with access to much less energy than we currently use, we could not live in the same way, and life would not be easy. As a Certified Sustainability Specialist you will learn about this new green paradigm, where energy plays a central role in our lives. Building an energy future which assures ample supplies of energy to meet our needs should be a major priority and of concern to all. Energy supply is a complex subject and many considerations come into play: science, technology, the economy, politics, the environment, energetic independence, national security, and so on.
This course exposes the student to financially, environmentally, and socially responsible objectives that are supported by strategies and achieved by clear tactics that have measurable outcomes. The student is introduced to methods of implementing technologies and practices and will also learn how to measure the consequent social and environmental performance for written reports and persuasive presentations.
Sustainability Specialists are dedicated to the practice of environmental and social responsibility in ways that achieve financial stability over the long run. In this course the student will understand not just why businesses need to be more responsible but how businesses can be more successful over the long run. International standards are given full treatment. ISO 26000 is given detailed attention, slightly more than ISO 9000 or ISO 14000, because it melds guidance on both environmental and social responsibility into one general concept of social responsibility. This course also specifies how to use traditional methods such as Six Sigma, lean, and operations research to improve processes, reduce resource use and waste, and make better social and environmental decisions that are based upon data from key financial, social, and environmental performance indicators. Armed with the knowledge from this course you can form educated and informed opinions on the future of energy and its impact on the economy, health, and the environment. This program includes the Certified Sustainability Specialist certification exam!
This class supported by an Educational Mentor. Educational mentors have worked or are working in the subject they mentor. Educational Mentors reviews student work, student progress, and interacts with students as needed. They respond to any questions or concerns you might have, as well as encouraging and motivating you to succeed.
• Broadband or high-speed internet access is required. Broadband includes DSL, cable, and wireless connections.
• Windows hardware configurations and processors are acceptable
• Mac computers MUST have Microsoft Window Operating Systems over Bootcamp (Bootcamp is a free download from Apple's website)
• 1 GB RAM minimum recommended
• Operating Systems
-Windows XP, Vista or 7 and Mac OS X 10 or higher with Windows
• Google Chrome is the best browser to use for this course
• Cookies MUST be enabled
• Pop-ups MUST be allowed (Pop-up Blocker disabled)
• Kindle Reader App
• Adobe PDF Reader
• Adobe Flash Player
• Adobe Acrobat Reader, Apple Quicktime, Windows Media Player, &/or Real Player
• PowerPoint Viewer
The following textbooks will be provided to each student upon registration:
• Our Energy Future: Resources, Alternatives, and the Environment by Christian Ngo & Joseph B. Natowitz
• Sustainable Business and Industry: Designing and Operating for Social and Environmental Responsibility by Joseph Jacobsen
- Certification included